Thursday, December 10, 2009

“The Geometry of Sisters” by Luanne Rice


“The Geometry of Sisters” by Luanne Rice
2009, Bantam Books
ISBN: 978-0-553-80513-0

Our library has a book bin outside the front door and in the dead of night people come to leave their orphan books. On my trip to the library the day I checked out “The Geometry of Sisters” I stopped by the box and saw an old textbook of beginning geometry. Geometry was one of my favorite subjects in high school and it had been a long time since I’d done anything with it. I had a yen to explore the world of numbers and angles again.

Then, wouldn’t you know I go inside the library and in the new book section, “The Geometry of Sisters” practically screams my name. Psychic stuff is funny that way. Anyway, I checked out the book and haven’t been able to put it down.

This is a really terrific book. I’ve read other things by Luanne Rice and I do like the way she tells a story. I was not disappointed with this one.
It has to do with the close ties between sisters and how secrets can tear apart relationships and families. How we react to things and do the only thing we can do and we can manage to really mess things up. And, it’s how to fix things too.

I loved the geometry part and was able to slide back in time to where I also got lost in the infinity, the logical sense, the oneness of numbers. I’m looking forward to that old beat up text book too. “Introductory Geometry – An Informal Approach” by James R. Smart.

3 comments:

Aline deWinter said...

YOUR CAT LIKE BOOKS TOO! I LIKE THIS BLOG -- SUPPORT READING AND BOOKS!

Louise | Italy said...

Golly - your cat is the spitting image of one of mine (see her here : http://carminesuperiore.blogspot.com/2007/11/mind-your-language-carmine-quotes-no2.html). Perhaps they're sisters!

Anonymous said...

My cats and I love this picture! Thank you for reading my books. Happy New Year...
Love,
Luanne Rice

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...