Sunday, April 22, 2007

"Forgiving" by LaVyrle Spencer

Forgiving by LaVyrle Spencer
1991 GP Putnam's Sons
ISBN: 0-399-13599-5

This was a two-fer. Two romances in one. "Forgiving" by LaVyrle Spencer takes place in Deadwood in the Dakota Territory in 1876. A young woman, Sarah Merritt, arrives to tell her sister, Addie of their father’s death. Well, Addie is there, but she’s not a maid like she’d told Sarah. She works in a brothel in the Badlands part of town.

This is their story. It is the love of the sisters for each other. It is the love of the two men they find. It is a story that could be played out in our own time. LaVyrle Spencer is a fine writer. This story gripped me the entire way through. And, the final accolade? I cried. Not only did I cry at the end of the story, but there were many times throughout the story I found I had to wipe my eyes. Definitely, “Forgiving” is a really good story.

No comments:

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...