Saturday, August 16, 2014

"The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman



It doesn’t matter that it has been four years since I last made an entry to this blog.  What matters is that I am writing today. 

To explain my absence to anyone who is wondering I will only say that I didn’t die and yet, in a way, I did.  I got sad.  I got angry.  I despaired.  It took me a long time to come to the realization that I didn’t have to go with the flow any longer; that I could make a decision about the direction I wanted to go. 

So, lately I’ve been caught between my old life (still in my old job) and the future (which I’m still hazy about). 

This morning I was thinking about how reading a whole boatload of books years ago by Stephen King were instrumental in jump starting my psychic part of life.  I always wondered how that was possible.  Obviously, it doesn’t happen to other people who read his books.  There are just too many of them. 

But this morning I thought that perhaps the way he writes, the way he snatches at thoughts speaks to my inner being in such a way as to amplify and bring a confused and muddled self into a place where things are a bit more understandable.  A place where I can perhaps not exactly identify them but close enough to where I can hold the focus of my attention long enough that I can get a better look at them.

A week or so ago I was surfing around on the internet and came upon an article where somebody had wonderful things to say about Neil Gaiman.  It was like someone had thrown a line into the lake with a sparkling, spinning fishing lure on it and I bit.  I went online to our Oakland public library and reserved one of his books.  A few days later I got an email announcing that it had arrived at our local branch.  At my first opportunity I checked it out and began reading, “The Ocean at the End of the Lane”. 

It is a quick book to read, slender and lightweight.  I couldn’t put it down.  Please read it, not just for the story but for the way this man, like Stephen King, can reawaken memories of childhood.  The magic of being a child that, as an adult, you think is long gone, that in reality is really with you for the rest of your life.

I am practicing trusting in the universe.  I am open to the idea that what we need comes to us.  I am open to the idea that our vibrations attract similar vibrations.  The vibrational writing of Neil Gaiman is something I think I need near me right now.

I think "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" is a book of transformation.



No comments:

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...