Sunday, May 18, 2008

“Home to Holly Springs” by Jan Karon

Home to Holly Springs” by Jan Karon
2007, Viking
ISBN: 978-0-670-01825-3

Home to Holly Springs” by Jan Karon. This is one of those good clean books. You also won’t want to put it down. I cried through most of it. It helps to have already read the first 9 books in the Mitford Father Tim series. I’ve got them all on the bookshelf in the bedroom and I might just start over reading them all again.

Home to Holly Springs” is the first in the Father Timothy series. You don’t need to have read the first ones. You can start with this one. But, I guarantee that you’ll feel better.

I was drawn to these books because of the spiritual slant. Father Tim is now a retired Episcopalian priest. Late in life, in his 60’s, he got married to Cynthia who writes children’s books. He adopted a son before he got married, Dooley, a thrown away child who ended up on his doorstep wanting to know where he could take a dump. How more down home than that can you get? These are honest, hardworking, no nonsense people you will certainly come to love.

In, “Home to Holly Springs” Father Tim takes a trip back to his roots, to where he was born and raised and hasn’t been to in 38 years. It’s a revelation all the stories he hears, all the people from the past he meets up with. I’m not going to give it away. Oh, no. You’ve got to read this yourself. I can’t wait for the next one.

No comments:

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...