Wednesday, December 26, 2007

“Eleven on Top” by Janet Evanovich

Eleven on Top” by Janet Evanovich
2005, St. Martin’s Press
ISBN: 0-312-30626-1

Eleven on Top” by Janet Evanovich is the eleventh book in the Stephanie Plum bounty hunter series. It’s not the eleventh book I’ve read. You can read them all out of sequence and each is terrific by themselves. What I love about this book is how I laugh. It’s like craving a jelly doughnut or a beer or some exactly particular thing. If you don’t get it, if you try to substitute something else for it you will not cure the craving. That’s what happened to me when I went to the library craving another Stephanie Plum story.

In this one Stephanie has had it with the bounty hunting business. She quits. Resourceful as she’s always been in the other stories she goes right out looking for work. All along her mother has yammered away at her to get a respectable job at the button factory or at the sanitary napkins factory. So, she does. First she goes to the button factory. She doesn’t last one day and gets fired. It’s not really her fault though, there’s a homicidal maniac stalking her.

Then, she sets fire to the second place that hires her. Her cars keep getting blown up. There’s a terrific love triangle between her, Joe Morelli her cop boyfriend and Ranger a fellow bounty hunter. Ex-bounty hunter friend because she’s not a bounty hunter anymore. But, he hires her too to keep her from being a target for more blowing up.

Oh, and you’ve got to read about Mama Marconi’s mole. I can’t tell you any more about the story. You’ve got to read it for yourself. It’s hilarious. I was reading in the living room while my husband was watching, “Forensic Files” on television. And, I was annoying the heck out of him with all the snorting I was doing. See, a snort is a smothered laugh the way I do it. Anyway, I had to remove myself to another room to finish the book.

I think you’ll love this book. I know I did.

No comments:

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...