Friday, December 21, 2007

“The ABC Murders” by Agatha Christie

The ABC Murders” by Agatha Christie
A Hercule Poirot Novel
1935, Black Dog & Leventhal
ISBN: 978-157912-624-7


The ABC Murders” by Agatha Christie is a whodunit that’s going to keep you guessing up until the very end. I’ve watched and enjoyed Hercule Poirot shows on television for years. This is the first time that I read one of the stories that Agatha Christie had written. I can see that I’m going to enjoy reading other books that she’s written and will certainly end up reviewing them here.

What struck me immediately is the characters I had already come to know and love on the television shows were exactly the same in this story. I was amazed. It is rare, I think, that book and show are so much alike. I was thrilled and settled in to have an enjoyable time reading “The ABC Murders”.

From the very beginning of the story I was enthralled. As the tale progressed I had an idea of what was going to happen, except, Hercule Poirot was not convinced. He had misgivings. Everybody else had already figured it out, me included, but M. Poirot had his doubts. And, it was the very end of the book where his brilliance shined, dazzling everybody, myself included, with what exactly happened and why it happened.

You’ve got to read this. Written in 1935 this book will read as excellently as it does today 50 years from now. Agatha Christie was born in 1890 and died in 1976. You can visit her website here.

No comments:

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...