Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"The Reeve's Tale" by Margaret Frazer

"The Reeve's Tale" by Margaret Frazer
1999, Berkley Publishing Group
ISBN: 0-425-17232-5

In “The Reeve's Tale” by Margaret Frazer you are doubly gifted in the sense that you get to puzzle out a murder mystery along with the folks in the tale and you get to experience a sense of what life must have been like during medieval times. Deep thought and a sense of historical correctness accompany you while you read so that if you had never given it a second thought you now know a whole lot more about times medieval than you did before.

This is the third book I’ve read where we get to accompany Sister Frevisse as she is pulled away from her cloistered life as a nun to be involved in things worldly wicked. Dame Frevisse is sort of like a clerical Peter Falk; she observes, asks questions and when she has all her ducks in order is able to piece together a murder that has had the entire village baffled.

I’ve met characters in "The Reeve's Tale" that appear in the other books I’ve read by Margaret Frazer and even though I’ve been reading them out of sequence it does not affect the story in any way. Reading these books is relaxing for me. I am able to step out of myself for a time and just be with other folk. I recommend this book.

No comments:

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...