Thursday, May 10, 2007

"Blessings" by Anna Quindlen

"Blessings" by Anna Quindlen
2002 Random House
ISBN: 0-375-50223-8

You expect a book to have a beginning, a middle and an end. It's a formula. I personally, also expect a happy ending. Anna Quindlen gave me so much more than that with her novel, "Blessings". I was enthralled. Typical and expected are not what happened here and, yet, it was so plausible. It really could have happened just the way she said.

This is the first time I've read anything by Anna Quindlen and I feel thankful to know she's written other books. I will certainly be reading them.

A painter of words, Anna Quindlen set "Blessings" to swirl about me, to remind me of my own family's secrets nobody ever wanted to talk about and to cry at the end; always for me the cherrie atop my own personal sundae.

2 comments:

Maw Books said...

I have this in my to be read pile, sounds like I need to bump it up. I also enjoyed Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen very much, you should check it out.

Pauline Evanosky said...

Thanks, Natasha. I will take you up on your suggesion. She's a great writer.

Caught Dead in Wyoming - Sign Off by Patricia McLinn  It has been a long time, looks like five years, since I've written anything fo...